06-10-2008, 05:00 AM   #12
clfive02
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
They do move a bit, but not to the extent that they hit each other as they should all be securely tied down.
I shipped a rather expensive car up to QLD in its own container last year. I saw to the securing of the vehicle to the tie points within the container myself and chocked the wheels securely. HOWEVER the bastard thing still managed to move -to my suprise and shock- a good 5 inches to one side, the side mirror narrowly missing the container wall by a few millimetres. The cause I put down to some dodgy tie downs.

I havent been on a voyage on one of these car-carrying ships though and it would be interesting to get input from anyone that has experience in this area...I'd love to know what goes on exactly on the ship.
There have been a few articles (if i remember correctly) in wheels mags about RORO carriers in recent years, it looks alright. But a couple of years ago, I saw some E90 sedans being driven really hard off the ship by dock workers when I went to check out the arrival of my car. It's understandable considering that they may have to unload hundreds of cars within a given time period, but it looked like they were having too much fun...they certainly didn't look after them.
Appreciate 0