Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post

BMW actually said something on this. They dont think iX target overlaps at all with X5 (yet). iX is meant to steal Tesla Model X owner, or someone who wanted an EV and did not want ICE engine.
The questions is, is that true?

Most EV owners I know have an ICE and most car enthusiasts I know either have a BEV or heavily considered one ...

The question is, do luxury buyers put a BEV into their consideration set because of the features or because of the looks or both? I'd bet the answer is both, not one or the other.

I'm in the process of buying an SUV and considered multiple BEVs: porsche taycan cross, model x, audi e-tron. The Model X was considered, but lost on looks, while the iX is out on looks alone: it's unappealing enough for me, I don't care about the features. The Audi also lost on looks, but also features.

The Porsche t-cross was my preferred vehicle, but the range + network just won't work for me ... if I knew for sure it could use the Tesla network I may have gone for it, but right now you can't so it was a no-go.

That left me with PHEVs & ICE. Given the supply constraints right now, I ended up ordering an X5M.

Add it all up and I'd say BMW's market analysis is getting it wrong; the mistake is likely in the realm of asking familiar vs unfamiliar: "which are you more likely to buy: a battery vehicle or an ICE vehicle?"

Or they made a product and are trying to figure out how it fits in to a quickly changing landscape ...
Could not agree more with your comments. I'd order X5M myself before ordering iX or Model X.
Appreciate 2
GrussGott18193.50
cdavis93140.50