View Single Post
      11-19-2020, 08:12 PM   #10
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I don't trust CU's opinion on anything more complex than a toaster, and I'm not really sure about those ratings, either.

I remember when they rated the old 2002 as conditionally acceptable because if you loaded it with five adults and their luggage, the diff housing barely cleared a pack of Pall Mall cigarettes (their prop). And then there was their E28 "electrical" rating black spot. It seemed when you failed to turn off your radio and subsequently drove through an automatic car wash, your antenna would break or bend. Voila! Electrical problem. Which is why the E34 had the antenna in the glass (before that was really perfected).

But what really blows my mind is when they test two identical cars from two different years that are otherwise exactly the same vehicle and yet rate one highly and the other as a failure. I know that's not the case. You know that's not the case, but since CU uses input from their subscriber/members, their universe of data providers is automatically skewed by the pocket-protector, Honda owning, engineers—very few of who own a BMW in the first place. And these guys mostly wouldn't ever consider a car a source of pleasure, but rather an appliance. But, of course, that's MHO.
Appreciate 0