Thread: e46 experience?
View Single Post
      07-17-2014, 11:33 AM   #2
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Beautiful lines, I will agree with you there. I lust after them as well. The e46 has it's fair share of weaknesses and potential failure points. The good thing is the car has been around long enough that not only are the issues incredibly well known/documented, but there are great solutions available for these issues. The vanos can be made to be bullet proof. The sub-frame will need to be reinforced for peace of mind at the very least. Most cars in the used market could use a thorough bushing refresh to get back to the factory feel.

The engine is intoxicating. Similar to the s65 in that it just wants to rev for days and makes most of it's power at the top end. Again, I think it is the best looking M3 BMW has ever made and find the e46 body style with the aggression of the fender flares and other body work the M3 has to be a timeless look. I will never tire of looking at clean e46s.

Do A LOT of research as you look for your e46. You need to know what you are getting yourself into. Go onto m3forum, there is a lot of useful information. There are also a TON of stancebros and morons who buy these cars and post threads about how unreliable it is, how expensive it is to maintain etc. Take all of that with a grain of salt. If you can't do at least some of your own work, this may not be the car for you. It can add up very quickly if you are paying someone else to do your work.

LSB/black in good shape will be nearly impossible to find, especially one that has been cared for. If you do find one, be prepared to move quickly. Stay away from SMG, fun transmission but they haven't aged well and it just adds another potential area of concern.
Appreciate 0