View Single Post
      07-16-2019, 08:46 AM   #24
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Meh - with respect to the OP and your comments, you kind of prove his point.

I've had three cars since my daughter was born: A 2013 BMW E93, a 2002 Ferrari 360 Spider, and a 2016 MINI Cooper S. None have had more than two doors and I've managed just fine. She is now almost 5 years old. In addition, my 76yo mother in law and 70yo mother get in and out of these cars just fine.

Not saying it is bad for you to go and buy a 4 door, but don't think it is a must just because you have a kid. Many folks, including me, have only had 2 door cars and get along just fine.

On this side of the pond, I see so many people say "oh no, I had a kid, need to sell my Honda Accord and go by a massive 3 row Chevy Suburban because I need the room". What the fuck.
While I agree the sentiment most people have that once a kid is in the picture, one needs what amounts to a school bus is absurd. But in my situation, having my 4 door C-HR now has certainly made life easier for me. I've driven my daughter around since being born till earlier this year in my E82....4 years total. The challenges I had is that the car seat would take up a ton of space which limited the size of the passenger I could have in the front passenger seat. This got worse as my daughter got bigger. And she is taking after me in terms of height. I'm 6'5". So the amount of space she needs when strapped in has also grown to the point, I can't really take anyone in the front passenger seat unless they're kid of max age of around 12.

And the back seat area behind me? Forget about it. No one is sitting behind me with the driver's seat adjusted for my long legs. So for about a year or so, if I was driving my daughter around, that's it. I couldn't take anyone else. When I got the 4 door C-HR, it was nice I could now not worry about having my daughter with me and not being able to take anyone else in my car. I can now take 2 more people (and probably a third behind me) in addition to my daughter on various trips/errands. I couldn't do any of that with my E82.
Appreciate 0