View Single Post
      06-10-2016, 07:56 AM   #88
tibookM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25, F86, G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery
I don't know where this info is coming from but it is somewhere between misleading and absolutely incorrect...

I have attended (and still attend) the BMW schools quite often. Both in the U.S. and in Europe (Germany). I have witnessed several accidents at these schools. This includes an M5 sliding offroad into a wall (blowing all airbags) at VIR during a wet braking exercise, an M3 into the front straight wall at Road Atlanta after a high speed mis-negotiation of turn 12, and an M4 rear ending a group of two other M4's at the Ring (3 cars involved - one of which I was in the passenger seat).

In NONE of these events were the students held financially liable for the cars. I know all the drivers involved (some better than others), and no one was billed for any damages. In fact, the students were given replacement vehicles to finish the training once they were checked out and medically cleared (if it was required).

BMW does their very best to help try and minimize damages of any kind but these things do happen and they fully understand that. However, if the event occurred because the student had done something due to a careless or reckless attitude, then I believe BMW might have a different position on the matter, but I've never witnessed that. In fact, the European waiver even specific identifies liability (2500 euro max) if it was reckless/careless.

So, I'm not sure of where this is coming from, but I do 2-3 Advanced Schools a year and I've NEVER heard of anyone actually billed for damages to any vehicles - and I've seen a few...

Anyone know of someone who was actually held liable for vehicular damage at a BMW driving school? If so, what were the details of the event?
Slight correction, the German BMW policy is 2500 euro max if the damage was only deemed slight driver's negligence. You buy the car if you did something stupid.
Appreciate 0