lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by igom3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Not in reference to this incident, but related, something a couple of posts have referred to: Very few (if any) normal insurance policies cover track day events anymore. USAA used to, but not anymore. If you want track day insurance, you have to buy it from a specialty insurance company.
+1
Im in insurance field(multiple companies) and like you said almost all of them exclude track use for liability and physical damage. They had wording before only for competition and timed events, but few years back they added using your car on any track surface including pits and surrounding areas. So before you think your insurance company will cover your car think twice. They are fiew insurance companies that would cover your car up to desired amount, but I don't know if they would cover non-owned cars such as BMW M school etc...
The fatal accident in CA with that Carrera GT put the nail on the coffin for coverage under personal auto policies even if it's not a competition event.

We use Lloyd's for our Motorsport and HPDE Schools. It's not inexpensive by any means (coverage is $90MM aggregate per car with 2 drivers included) but the premiums fluctuate between active use, transport, and storage. They've been very good to us even after Allen Simonsen's fatal crash at LeMans. I also have a personal multi national comprehensive policy with one of their other divisions for when I'm doing independent instruction but it excludes bodily injury and the separate coverage is insanely expensive. For that I keep an unrestricted surety bond that ends up costing less than 2 years of bodily injury coverage.

Here in the US, KIS Motorsport has opened an office and offers personal track day policies priced per day and vary depending on the policy limits and the track. They are the broker for Silverstone and Nurburgring coverage and have a stellar reputation.
Appreciate 1