Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
In 2011 when I was shopping them, there most certainly were decent examples for under $10k in Central Florida.

There's a zero percent chance I'd ever EVER pay over $15-$20k for an e46 even if it had a window sticker on the windows and plastic on the seats.

And you may have not seen anything fishy going on but that doesn't mean others haven't or that there isn't. I spent 10 years literally looking for patterns and anomalies for a living. While I haven't scrapped and databased BaT sales history and user activity, I've got a pretty decent eye for seeing things that don't jive. That's why I said "it seems".

If I took the time I could provide an answer suitable for a courtroom.
Good to know what you wouldn't pay

But, I don't believe you on good condition coupes ever existing under $10k. Forum posts from whatever time period you're referring to still exist-- should be easy enough for you to provide a single example.

I know some of the people that sold some of the higher dollar e46 M3s on BaT-- and there is nothing fishy about them.
I don't remember specifics. It's possible I'm mistaken. I don't have the prices in front of me and it was a decade ago almost.

What I'm not mistaken about is seeing a couple of fishy deals going on where the same couple of people appeared to be buying and selling the same e46s back and forth (presumably the same person). Specifically remember seeing an Interlagos and a white one, both with cheap general tires and both 6speed swapped. At some point that same person I think had like 12 e46s in a garage selling them for crazy prices, and they weren't "collectable" examples.

Not saying 98% of deals on BaT aren't legit. But there's something strange going on with e46s right now and I believe there is an active campaign by a handful of people to inflate the market value of these cars.

Buy one, don't, :shrug: but if you buy one for $60k today don't be surprised if it's only worth $30k in a year when the orchestrated bubble bursts.