10-30-2009, 02:40 AM   #31
Saebb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Unfortunately none

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
incredible!

I imagine that this fits in to the same category as the "mystical" M8 I heard of before.

As most know, the V12 engine in the 850csi was an "M-Power" engine and was in fact another variant of the V12 engine that BMW put in the McLaren F1 Roadster.

Rumour was that BMW had actually made a BMW M8 that had the McLaren spec BMW V12 under the hood (640hp) rather than the 850csi 404hp V12.

Who knows?
Well some thing to correct. Searched google and found this interesting page:

http://www.e31.de/models.html

The 850 CSi (btw 380hp, the only cars with more power were the E31 Alpina versions with 416hp) is the real M8 as the papers state. It has been developed and has been built by ///M. Unfortunately we won't have a chance to ever see the prototype of the M8 cause it has been destroyed as far as I know.

I have been to the M division in Garching once and they had a lot of special vehicles around there. For example an E38 with the whole E39 M5 drive train implemented. This car was built for Paul Rosche who didn't like the "extroverted" appearance of an E39 M5.
And several E39 M5 tourings as pictured above. Lots of the guys from the higher management have special built ups of actual cars.

BTW, do you know that BMW already tested V8 and V12 versions in the E3 and E9? Those engines already had the hp numbers of the engines later used in the E32 7series.

If only I could into there and stroll around between all those exotics.
Appreciate 0