View Single Post
      08-17-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

I'm in the same boat... G37s is $10-12k less than a 335i in Canada and I really dislike the interior of the 3 series. I test drove one and I have to say it is 95% of the performance of the 335i. Almost as fast (less torque down low but close enough for me), a little heavier but it felt just as well planted through the corners at high speed, soaked up bumps really well with it's 19" rims and sport suspension, great MT, amazing interior and seats, tons of cool features, and some of the best reliability records in the entry luxury class. If the price were close (say $4k difference or less) then I would likely go from the 328i to the 335i. With the price difference as it is, I'm not sure at this point.

Unlike chazz, I think the G37s is a really nice looking car with very classic lines and the best factory 19" rims out there. And although there seems to be an anti-japanese car sentiment here, I like the idea of not listening to the creaks and rattles and not spending a lot of time in the shop. While my 328i has been reliable (no fuel pump!!) it hasn't been rattle free for sure... I actually took the rear apart to fix the rear parcel shelf creak!

It's a tough call but paying $12k for 5% or so better overall performance and the right to say I drive a BMW is tough to swallow. Damn! I wish BMW would make their interiors better (a.k.a Audi or the G37s which has an amazing interior as far as I'm concerned) and bring the price down a few thousand!

HotIce, I hate to say it but I don't see how I will be able to avoid going G37s next spring?!? I'll probably get flamed by the fanboys on that but it's my opinion. And don't get me wrong, I am a BIG fan of BMW and have enjoyed my 328i. The G37s is just so much for fun than a 328i and very, very close to the 335i coupe with a better interior and much lower price when similarly equiped ($49,950 versus $62,000 similarly equiped in Canada). I wish it weren't so but it is...
Appreciate 0