11-04-2023, 01:52 PM   #392
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
I guess you’ve never heard of BMW Group Classic (nee Mobile Tradition). They keep more than 50,000 parts still in production (and new reproductions are added regularly) for our older, collectible Bimmers… and they’ve established a Partners network for providing services/restorations for them too (currently only EU).

I can still buy the vast majority of the parts on my ol ‘76 2002 thanks to BMW Group Classic and the great aftermarket production still surrounding these classic cars. Are there still some NLA parts?, sure, but waaay less than there might be. We’ve actually got it pretty good…

—-

Your comment made me think of this old BMW April Fools press release:

BMW To No Longer Supply Parts For Old BMW’s

Details of a new parts policy by BMW HQ emerged this week which aims to effect all BMW’s over 7 years old. The plan involves reducing, and ultimately eliminating parts available to old BMW’s thereby encouraging BMW owners to buy new BMW’s more frequently.

BMW’s Head of Sales Pauline Yorlegg was quoted as saying;
“BMW make cars to last and we are very proud of the fact that 20+ year old BMW’s are still heavily active on our roads today. Such BMW owners are happily driving these old BMW’s however we have 1000’s of new BMW’s rolling off the production line every year that they wont buy and we are ultimately losing out on new sales. We had to explore all options with regards to finding a solution to this issue.”

BMW’s new plan outlines that once your BMW reaches its 7th birthday only safety components/parts such as suspension, indicator bulbs, and braking will be available from BMW for a period of one further year.

Once your BMW is over 8 years old then no further replacement parts will be available from BMW and customers are advised to visit your local dealer as soon as possible to check out the range of new BMW’s available.

A parts manager from a BMW dealership who wished to remain anonymous commented;
“I’m relieved this new policy is being introduced. Over the last few years my job had become extremely tough. These E30 and classic boys just stroll into the dealership expecting me to pull a replacement carpet from the shelf that was made over 25 years ago, you’d swear I was Houdini! I have had to take time of work due to the stress of dealing with their ‘Christmas lists’ of replacement parts which led to the breakdown of my marriage and my wife running off with an Audi parts manager.”

Yes, I've heard of BMW classic and no they do not make many needed parts for my platform. Good for you that you've found them as a supportive resource; I have not. As as I said in my post "you'd think think BMW would offer more support." Never said anything about NO support.

Everyone has their own opinion and expereinces as well as expectations for what support looks like. For E36 owners, "got it pretty good" is whishful thinking at best. I'm hopeful that the E36 M3 will continue to gain mommentem as a modern calssic and with the euro versions now being imported to the U.S. it may reignite additional discussion from BMW Classic to consider reproducing many needed parts to keeping the platform on the road for many years to come.

Not every E36 owner belongs to the "stance nation" crowd.
Appreciate 1
Mani5913825.50