View Single Post
      10-18-2023, 11:19 AM   #1
BimmerDKT
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 / 1998 E36 M3

Repair/Upgrade my E90 or CT5V BW?

My 2008 E90 M3 is showing it's age. 88K miles ... clutch is VERY tired. Valve covers have been weeping for a while. Oil analysis has been ok ... high metals, Cu still low .... but, it's probably time to do the rod bearings. TBA's still work fine, but I have to reset them through diagnostics every other week. Again .. it's probably time. A few other knick-knack items to fix ... the typical BMW nickel-and-dime you to death stuff. All together, probably $6K in parts ... I usually do my own work, but kids soccer schedules and work are basically eating all my free time. So, probably another $6K for reputable local shop to do the work.

I'm not a track rat anymore ... but I occasionally will splurge on a track weekend every other year or so. I used to race cars in NASA and SCCA. Not interested in doing that again. Mostly I just like to kill tires wherever it's safe to explore limits and not get the attention of local 5-0. That said ... I did go through the exercise of pricing out a full build on the E90, and the total comes out to ~$45K at a mid-level spec, daily driven sled.

So here's my dilemma. If I build out a beast, I'm already more than 1/2 way to a CT5V BW ... and I'm working on a racecar every weekend again. I "could" do it, but I think my wife would never get naked for me again ... and I've been on the slippery slope of racing cars before, so I know where this trail ends. I keep looking at the CT5V BW, and it kinda looks like the Goldilocks zone for recovering-racecar-driver Dad's like me.

I do have some concerns about the CT5V BW. #1 - It's big ... like quite a bit bigger than my E90. It's bigger than a G80 and the E39 M5. I know the quick response is "go with the CT4V BW then" ... but I just need that LT4 panache. My racecars ranged from RX-7 to C5 Z06 to CRX Si to LX Fox body, and the V8 is the only place that feels like home. #2 - It's quite a bit heavier. 4092lbs vs 3538lbs. I do enjoy the tossable characteristics of the E90, and it's sporty feel. I've driven an F80 M3 and an F90 M5 on track, and they're great, but different. #3 - It's a lotta cash for GM-spec interior and compromised interior space. I'll give GM credit for slowly getting better and better over the years .... but it's still not quite there in terms of getting to the BMW standard for luxury interior (let alone Audi or MB level). And the Alpha platform still short-changes the rear cabin and trunk space ... which is not a deal breaker, but kinda annoying when you're talking about spending $130K.

Any insights from those who've jumped into the BW models would be greatly appreciated. Or insights from those that have fully built out their E9x M3 and what the day-to-day maintenance looks like. Apologies for the length, if you made it this far.
Appreciate 0