View Single Post
      03-07-2023, 10:40 AM   #21
vbb
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 manual

^I dont think it all boils down to the intelligent vs. the idiots, though that is certainly a part of it. My post was more aimed at the narcissistic, self-centered behavior and how social media has amplified that. This type of behavior cuts across all demographics and intelligence levels. People (not all, but a lot) want to be in the spotlight. They want to be recognized. They NEED to be seen. They're addicted to the attention, just like people get addicted to food and drugs. They may have not had any access to attention before social media, but now anyone with a phone and internet access can be seen and heard. My point is that maybe you should reevaluate things if you're that type of person, but if you do decide to engage, remember that you are opening yourself up to negative comments and attention as well, and if you're not able to handle that, you should log off.

I honestly think the criticism serves a purpose. If people have a negative experience and get their feelings hurt, maybe they'll stop posting. Maybe they'll realize that the "joy" of getting likes from strangers isn't worth the hurt of getting criticism. Afterall, thats how social norms are developed...when someone gets shunned or shamed for their behavior, they usually stop that behavior. But, unfortunately, just like with other addictions, people know it is harmful but can't stop doing it.
Appreciate 0