View Single Post
      09-13-2022, 02:53 PM   #43
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Holy crap do I feel inadequate now if not already. The gear you guys rock, wow.

I particularly liked the below story, very slightly reminds me of my own journey, except I'm way less skilled/sophisticated/knowledgeable/etc.

Anyway, I started w one of those kid guitars, my dad was so proud asking the guitar teacher on my first day how did I look w that thing and the teacher replied as fit as a fiddle! Sadly, I did not turn out to be the next EVH haha.

So I had that kid-sized guitar for a while and then borrowed my dad's, which was a classical. I have no idea where he bought it but apparently it was from a semi-famous classical player. Anyway, not sure why he got it because he doesn't really do finger-style as much as the usual pick strumming. I already have small hands so the wider fretboard should've been a challenge but it wasn't so bad, maybe because of the softer strings and the neck wasn't too bad/thick.

After that I 'inherited' another acoustic (some Yamaha) which was in hindsight the best feel since the neck was really small and fit me like a glove. I played many tunes on that, figuring out songs somehow before the internet took off and it was fun keeping me entertained during some mundane times.

Anyway, me being the idiot I am, at one point I decided to sell those 2 guitars for some acoustic/electric because I wanted to go electric and get into amps...I don't even have that very pedestrian guitar now.

If you read this far, I decided to recount my story because the poster below talked about pickups, and it showed that I knew nothing, basically going for guitars based on looks mainly. Sold that acoustic/electric for what I thought was my ultimate guitar, a Gibson Les Paul Special, cherry red. Sure, it looked nice but it was totally wrong for me, the infamous baseball bat neck and when I finally paid close attention to my guitar, I found out that I didn't like the look/sound of those soapdish pickups. Luckily, I sold it for a little profit even and now have the Ibanez. Wish the neck was thinner but at least I love the look, the humbuckers/more settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demas View Post
What a perfect thread.

I started learning Classical Guitar and Flamenco when I was 13. Later, started a Rock band with friends. I played Lead, my best buddy was Rhythm and another good friend was Drums.

We did a lot of the popular stuff back then - Warrant, White Lion, Skid Row, L.A. Guns, GnR (I ain't no Slash) but we also loved Surf music and in particular The Ventures (Nokie my inspiration).

I always tried to pursue Classical - it just takes a life of dedication. I promised my mother I'd play her favorite song Recuerdos de la Alhambra in person one day - that was 30 years ago and I still can't get the whole piece down... and my tremolo is horrible today.

I stopped playing when I was 19 and started work. Only recently got back to playing - 25 years without an electric guitar or amp or anything - just decided one day, why not?

And I did the strangest thing - I bought a Telecaster. Back in the day, we were Les Paul's and Humbuckers - we shunned Fender and Single Coils. (funny, as I liked Surf). As I got older I really appreciated the timeless Tele and the Strat pickups - although for some reason I never got along with Strats - something about the shape and feel.

Now, I got the Tele ('52 reissue w/ G.E. Smith mod), a Warmoth partscaster running Seymour Duncan pickups. Then bought this amazing Danelectro for that 50's vibe.

If I can make space, I'd love to add a Moserite or a Rickenbacker which I've never played. Weirdly, I don't care for Gibson anymore although I play better on a shorter scale.

I gotta rebuild by calluses...
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 3
RugbyBro7609.00
NYG11051.50
demas189.50