04-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #157
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime00 View Post
I don't understand the stereotyping based on nomenclature.

If they called the car a GR 300 instead of a Corolla, you'd be cool with it being a limited production model. But the fact that it's badged as a Corolla there should be a ton available for whoever wants them bc Corollas are cheap, readily available cars?

Furthermore, it's somehow ok for Porsche or Ferrari to artificially inflate and deflate production numbers or create a demand and have $50 to $100k markups ? Lol.

F that.

I've been on the other side of this esp with Porsche, where you need to give a handjob to everyone at a dealership to maybe get a chance to be on the waitlist to the waitlist to the allocation list.

It's a unique car, call it whatever you want, and like every unique car, it'll be a little bit of a hassle to get one. But I agree that if it becomes a huge PITA to purchase, buyers will have to balance how much crap they'll put up with until they just walk away. Personally, I spent 20 minutes calling some dealers, and got on a list for a car at MSRP. Wasn't a big deal at all.
Actually, I'm not okay with Porsche or Ferrari doing it either. Which is why among other reasons I've never considered either. But for Toyota to all of a sudden start implementing this artificial production cap on a Corolla of all models, yeah, it makes me a bit sour as a pretty regular Toyota customer for 20+ years. Doesn't matter if it's a Corolla, "GR 300", Supra, or Land Cruiser. It's bull shit, and nobody wins but the dealerships with idiotic markups.

I'm not as passionate about this as my post might have read. But reading that just changed my interest from being fairly interested into looking elsewhere. I do not mean this as a flex whatsoever, but between my R8 and STI, both of which I did not need to search far and wide for and both of which I paid less than MSRP for, I'm pretty much covered in what experiences I'm after. I just don't like this trend which is typically implemented on high end/exotic cars trickling down to mass produced cars for average middle class enthusiasts who are looking to experience possibly the last generation of the great internal combustion engine cars before everything turns into a toaster on wheels. Get them while you can before they're gone has now become get one if you can, and be prepared to pay up or search far and wide for the privilege. For a damn Corolla.