Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
What are your thoughts after installing the SSK?

I've been thinking about installing the Dinan SSK for the 335i, after another member confirmed it's compatibility on the M3.
Well, I have never tried the Dinan SSK but after doing a lot of research on this forum, it seems that the AutoSolutions.net SSK is the consensus best kit. You have to call "Ronald" and tell him your requirements and he custom builds it for you. I chose 15% shift reduction and stock height (because I didn't want to buy another shift boot). I got mine in about 2 weeks. The shifter came with a new beefy selector rod and a couple of new OEM BMW bushings.

The install took about 3-4 hours.. the most difficult part we struggled with was installing the 6 tiny screws holding the new shift lever to the shift bracket. It is in the absolute worst location for an allen wrench! We were able to do it without dropping the exhaust as per some of the excellent instructions on this site.

My biggest complaints on the stock 6MT in this car are: too much play in the shift knob, notchiness in 2nd and 3rd gear and vague feel. After the install the shift action has slightly more resistance (not as light as stock), ZERO play on the shift knob the gear slots are very exact. It feels more "mechanical" going into gear where it was vague before. Like a "raw" feeling going into gear.. It did not address the occassional notchiness going into 2nd and 3rd gear however but it pretty much addresses everything else. The 15% shift reduction I chose was not very aggressive, you may want to chose 30% or more if you want it to truly feel shortened up.

a good complementary mod would be the UC clutch pedal.. I did that as well and the clutch release point is low now where it should be and easier to drive smoothly. Also don't reinstall the clutch pedal spring when you are doing this.

good luck!

a new picture for attention

Thanks for the insight!

I've been working on improving the connected feel of this car since I got it. To me, the shifter and clutch feel not match the rest of the car.

I did get the M5 knob, UCP (stiffest setting), and have changed to Redline MTL, which both have helped tremendously.

I'm still debating if it is worth trying an SSK with the M3...