View Single Post
      08-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Lay-Z M3
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: ASPP 135i Cab, E90 M3, M235i

Thoughts please gang.....

So I have recently made the move to BC from Ontario (originally from England), and currently have a 2010 Mini Jcw on lease with thougts on buying out. Now my new job role involves alot more driving, which the Mini is very capable in covering, she is comfortable, wonderful on Gas and very flexible in Downtown Vancouver.

However, before the JCW I had a 2008 E90 M3 and realise that I miss it too much!! So my thoughts were to get another M3. Problem is that the depreciation (as with the Mini) will be heavy due to the 80k - 100k kms that ill be doing each year - and as an Ex BMW employee of many years, I know of the more long term issues posed by direct injection and Turbochargers. The Mini I have been warned 'will' become unreliable with that kind of useage - with a history of HPFP issues (as with the N54 and N55 engines in the 135, 335, 535, X5, X6 and Z4's) and more worryingly the timing chain adjuster which can cause monumental fails!!

So my various BMW tech friends have advised a 'normally aspirated' ride to see me through a few yers of heavy useage. E46 and E9x M3's being good forerunners due to their nature of being over engineered for the jobs they undertake. Sadly my current financial situ allows more for a nice E46 than it does a nice E9x M3. So with this in mind I was wondering if there were any 'mega mileage' M3 owners on here that could shed some light on dependability, especially as I am a 6MT man but with the allure of SMGII for the heavy City traffic being somewhat in the back of my mind (although I appreciate that more can/will go wrong withthese transmissions + clutch life is shorter on average).

What does everyone think? E46 M3 a good choice? Ill entertain plugs for SMG if you can back up with real life stories of longjevity and fault free motoring.

A good friend of mine has had 3 including a CSL and his current boasts 125k miles (200,000kms) without fault!!

Many thanks in advance

All the best

M
Appreciate 0